Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Malus domestica

So I figure it's about time to say what Malus domestica means and why I chose it as the title of my blog.  Well, as some of you may know I am a horticulturist and spent four years studying horticulture at what I consider to be one of the best schools around.  Malus domestica is the scientific name for this plant:







   



                            
That's right!  Your common apple.  In school we loved making fun of the name (...it's the domestic violence plant...it's the bad domestics plant...).  Well, I chose the name Malus domestica for my blog because that's exactly what it sounds like...bad domestics.  I figured it would be a witty choice to name my blog as often times I feel as though I'm blindly fumbling around in the whole domestics department.  Could there be a deeper, more psychological meaning in my selection of this?  Could it be that the name alone may convey poor domestic quality but in reality it's something entirely different than what it seems...a common apple?  Could this be a reflection of my true feelings?  Eh, that's more complex than what I want to think about.  I changed my major from psychology to horticulture after just one psychology class.  But at any rate there you have it....Malus domestica.

2 comments:

  1. I wondered what your name ment.

    I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd just figured it meant "Domestic Klutz" that's what I get for thinking. A thought on your thought on my blog: I have another couple up here, so we don't have a problem with not getting the sacrament. I don't know about stakes, but Nome has a ward, and Kotz has a ward, and Anchorage has several stakes, and I'm sure Fairbanks has a couple, Barrow is probably big enough for it's own ward. I'm sure there's more teachers than Mormons in the state. Not that there's a lot of us.

    ReplyDelete