Thursday, February 10, 2011

Sarah's Lamentation

I really feel for Sarah. You know, THE Sarah, Abraham's wife. The one who thought she'd never have any children yet ended up being the grandmother of the house of Israel. I feel like I have a foot in one of her moccasins (er, sandals in this case?). I think we can relate to each other as only few women can. This is how I think she must have felt upon seeing what she thought was to be her blessing being given to another-well, this is how I would feel at least.

Sarah's Lamentation

Hagar has conceived
Hagar, Hagar
Why won't my heart rejoice?
Shouldn't my soul be singing?

Hagar has concieved
The child of the promise
Will at last be born
Though not of me

Hagar bore a child
A boy, a son
The promise is now fulfilled
though not through me

Hagar has been chosen
A servent, a girl
has fulfilled the role
I once thought was mine

Abram has a child
His seed will now be forever
As sands of the endless sea
His, not mine

The time for lamentations has past
Abram has a son
Hagar has been chosen
A blessing from heaven has surely been given


I tried so hard to come up with a nice picture to go along with this post. I couldn't find anything I wanted, so until I learn to become an artist it will just have to be how it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment