for planting that is. It's no secret that tulips are one of my favorite flowers. They are so beautiful and they have such a fascinating history as well. Most people associate tulips with Holland. Actually tulips originated in central Asia. The Turks were the first to cultivate them. They actually weren't brought to Holland until the 17th Century. The rest is well...history. Of course there was the period of Tulip mania where it was not uncommon for a single tulip bulb to sell for as much as 1o times the salary of a skilled craftsman each year! That would be like a tulip bulb selling for $500,000 today!
Even though tulips don't cost that much anymore I sure do wish I could afford some to plant this fall, and these are some of my favorites (all photos are from dutchgardens.com):








Oh yes. I can definitely see myself as a tulip collector one day. Until then I will thoroughly enjoy the pictures!
I miss tulip festival down in Skagit County. I haven't been since I was in high school.
ReplyDelete