Ok, so I wrote this post over a year ago in April of 2012 but I never posted it. After this weekend there was a lot of drama going on in our extended family with a very sick and hospitalized kid. I know, no excuses, right? Well, here it is anyway.
This weekend was one of my very favorite cultural celebrations in my home town. It started out as a Dutch-based holiday, but has grown to be a multi-cultural event. It was always one of my favorites growing up. I had not been able to go since we got married, but this year I finally got to! Russ had the opportunity to get some over-time at work (which is a good thing), so he couldn't come but I really enjoyed spending time with my parent's and the cousins.
Every year the Fire Department that my dad volunteers with has a pancake breakfast fundraiser. I always enjoyed going growing up. Like I said, I haven't been in a while, and it was weird that I didn't know very many of the people in the fire department. I used to know most of them. It made me sad and it made me think about how life moves on without you realizing it. I am so proud of my dad and all the work he has done as a volunteer EMT/Firefighter. I remember when he first decided to join the fire department and how exciting that was for him. It was something he had always wanted to do and he has been a part of this wonderful group of volunteers for 20 years now.
Watching my dad help out at the pancake breakfast made me realize one of the reasons I love and admire my husband. He is also a man who volunteers in the community. I am so proud of my men who volunteer!
I can't believe how old my dad looks. It makes me so sad. I watched all of my grandparents pass away before I was 21 and I just can't imagine life without my parents. I have a firm testimony of the plan of salvation, but I feel like I just need them here with me for a very long time.
After breakfast we met the cousin's at the parade. K and E took one look at me and seemed happy but when they saw my mom (whom they refer to as "Auntie") they ran to her! My mom is so good with little kids. I know that K and E have their own grandparents, but I'm so glad that my parents get to be "like" grandparents to them. My dad especially, since my mom has so many great nephews and great nieces of her own. It's kind of like the gift that I cannot give them. E really seems to bond with my dad and he even looks like my dad did when he was little (and I feel like they even have similar personalities, maybe the personality genes and "looks" genes go together). It's really quite remarkable.
Sunday, July 21, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment