Poem I --written 2-3-08
This old and withered flower with
faded petals falling beneath the
brush wonders if she
will ever produce seed to
bring her joy.
Poem II--written 8-31-08
Silly flower,
don't you know?
Wilting must occur
before new seeds can grow.
Its funny how when things are going well in our lives our perspective changes so drastically. The other day I was speaking with and old friend on the phone. She referred to a school trip (Pack Trials) we made to California just a few weeks before my graduation.
"Do you remember," she said "how on Pack Trials you thought you were never going to get married and you were scared about finding a job? And then you found a job right away and got married within 6 months."
She has such a valid point. This is so typical of me. I'm trying hard not to worry about the things that frighten me sometimes. And I feel really good about where we are right now. I wish we could just stop where we are and freeze time for awhile. Things are really good. I know that things are not perfect, but it feels so good to come out of where we were-I'm just basking in what we have right now and I don't want anything to change. I just want to stop here, with us at 29 and 34. I want to stop here, with this perfect late-summer weather. I want to stop here, with me working as an Assistant Grower in my field and doing something I enjoy, working with people I love. I want to stop here, living close to family and going on day-outings with our parents and feeling like a complete family for the first time since I-don't-know-when. I just want to stop here, with us living in this fun new apartment that is just the right size with a beautiful landscape and a trail in our backyard laced with delicious wild blackberries. I just want to stop here, anticipating the arrival of my cousin and his lovely wife and 3 little kids who will soon be moving nearby. I don't want to wait and see what things will come, whether good or bad, I am too fearful of that. I just want to stop here and stay for awhile, where things are not perfect, but good.
It's good to write down the happy times when things are going right. Then when uncertainty is there, you know the Lord has taken care of you in the past, and He'll do the same in the future.:)
ReplyDeleteIt's so true that things happen when we least expect and especially when we aren't looking.
ReplyDeleteIt was good to see you tonight in passing.
I miss your smiling face.